Sunday, January 18, 2015

Gigi at The Kennedy Center

The Show, A Review

As soon as I heard an ensemble of Broadway All Stars was bringing Gigi back to the stage, I immediately put it on my calendar and bought tickets.

I grew up loving Gigi, and how could one not? The film is filled with beautiful costumes, romance, and is set in magical turn of the century Paris. The film won nine Oscars back in 1958, including Best Picture. With such a successful and memorable adaptation on film, I had hoped the Broadway production of Gigi would not completely abandon it's Hollywood roots.

I was honestly concerned with the casting of Vanessa Hudgens as Gigi, it just didn't seem like quite the right fit. Leslie Caron was completely perfect in the film adaptation; as I'm sure Audrey Hepburn was in the original stage version in 1951. As the performance neared, I was finding it hard to compare the classic Gigi with the one currently listed in the Playbill.

To my surprise, I couldn't have been more wrong. Vannesa Hudgens was resplendent. She completely captured the essence of Gigi in her tone, mannerisms, and care-free laughter. Bravo, Vanessa, for a truly incredible performance!

Vanessa Hudgens shows of her dance moves at Gigi preview Credit: Neilson Barnard at Getty Images Entertainment

I was equally impressed by the performances of Gaston (Corey Cott), Mamita (Victoria Clark), and Aunt Alicia (Dee Hoty). The sets were beautiful and the dialogue had some great moments of humor.

I would highly recommend anyone who grew up loving the film as I did immediately buy tickets to the show. If it is sold out in DC, you can travel to New York and see it on Broadway. Previews start March 19th with the official opening on April 8th.

GiGi at The Kennedy Center
January 16th - February 12th
Tickets from $45
http://www.kennedy-center.org/events/?event=TPTSD



No comments:

Post a Comment